How to connect Nexus 7 to a keyboard and a mouse
Why do you want to connect Nexus 7 to a keyboard and a mouse? Make a tablet as a “computer” but 7-inch tablet could be a bit small for its screen size.
My daughter recently broke the screen of our Nexus 7 2012 so the touch screen doesn’t work anymore. I was debating to get a LCD Touch Screen Digitizer Assembly Replacement for ASUS Google Nexus 7 Tool OEM for $50 or just retire it?
It happens I have $50 microsoft store promo code lying around. I went ahead to use it and one of items I ordered is StarTech Micro USB Male USB Female OTG Host Cable Adapter. It costs $8. I connected its micro USB male to the broken Nexus 7 and a USB receiver for HP Z4000 wireless mouse to the other end. Instantly the mouse is working on Nexus 7 and I could navigate around. However, the on screen keyboard doesn’t pop up when I want to enter texts. It looks like it is required wireless combo (keyboard + mouse) to work. The budget Logitech Wireless combo (MK270) costs around $30.
I tried with Logitech MX518 optical mouse that has USB interface and I could see on screen keyboard pop up when I want to enter texts. If you have an USB hub lying around, you could connect USB keyboard and mouse to the USB hub. Then connect USB hub to the adapter. That should work, too.
how to select text in Chrome with touchscreen
In Chrome browser, long press a location on your screen in you will get a selection highlight with two little dots at either end of the text you have selected. Drag these with your finger until everything you want is selected. Long press again for the operations you want to perform.
How to increase memory limit for WordPress
Last night I got the following error: Fatal error: Allowed memory size of xxxxx bytes exhausted when customized a theme in WordPress. I uploaded a php file with the following content:
When I ran it, I saw memory_limit is 32M. I decided to increase it to 64M. I tried the following:
1. Add the following line to wp-config.php file:
2. Update PHP.ini to add the following line:
memory_limit = 64M ;
3. Add the following to an .htaccess file:
php_value memory_limit 64M
When I re-run the php file, memory limit still shows 32M. I searched lunarpages hosting that hosts my web sites and found the following link: increase php.ini upload limit
I did the similar thing for memory limit and it worked.
In .htaccess file, add the following lines
deny from all
In php.ini file, add the following:
memory_limit = 64M
How to send an Interac e-Transfer
I needed to transfer some money from my Royal bank account to my TD account. Normally I just went to TD bank and deposited a cheque from my Royal bank account. I realized I didn’t order new cheques after my address has changed. I log in to Royal bank online banking and found out it costs close to $60 (include shipping, handling and HST) for quantity of 100. Each cheque cost me 60 cents and I need to go to bank or ATM machine to deposit it. There must be other way to do this.
I tried out Interac e-Transfer from Online Banking. Here are the instructions:
1. Register to use Interac e-Transfer service in TD online banking.
(1) Login to EasyWeb
(2) Click on “Payments & Transfers” at the top of the page
(3) Click on “Interac e-Transfer” on the left-handed side of the page.
(4) Read the information displayed on the next page
(5) Click the ‘Register Now!’ link at the bottom of the page.
2. Send Interac e-Transfer in Royal Bank online banking
(1) Login to Royal bank online banking
(2) Select “Pay Bills and Transfer Funds”;
(3) Enter the amount, the account you would like to pay from, and in the “To:” drop-down list, select “Interac e-Transfer”;
(4) You will be asked to:
a. Provide the name and email address or mobile number of the recipient;
b. Provide a security question-and-answer that only the recipient will be able to answer (You will want to agree on a question with the recipient in advance);
c. You can choose to save this recipient in your Payee list to send another e-Transfer at a later time
(5) Upon confirmation, an email or text message notification will be automatically sent to the recipient with instructions to retrieve the funds.
The maximum amount you can send through an Interac e-Transfer is based on your client card daily access limit.
There could be a service charge depending on your account.
|Account Type||Free Interac e-Transfers Per Month|
|RBC VIP Banking||Unlimited Free e-Transfers|
|RBC Signature No Limit Banking||15|
|RBC No Limit Banking||10|
|RBC No Limit Banking for Students||10|
|RBC Student Banking||5|
All other e-Transfers from Personal Deposit Accounts cost $1.
3. Receive Interac e-Transfer in TD Bank
(1) After half an hour, an email is received with a deposit URL.
(2) Click on the deposit URL
(3) Click on TD bank icon
(4) Login to EasyWeb
(5) Interac e-Transfer Receive money page is launched.
(6) Answer the security question and select bank account
(7) Money is deposited into the account. In a few minutes, “transfer completed” email is received in Royal bank account email.
Nexus 7 upgrade
Recently I bought my wife an Asus Memo Pad (ME572C-A1-BK) to replace her Nexus 7 2012. It has the same screen size and could run lollipop 5.1.1 more smoothly.
I spent lots time and tried to figure out how to transfer App data and saved games from Nexus 7 to Memo Pad 7. Here are things I tried.
1. Backup to google account is checked on Nexus 7 under settings > Backup & restore. It automatically syncs those from google account to Memo Pad when she log in to google account on Memo Pad.
2. Tried Wondershare MobileTrans. It could transfer contacts, messages, calendar, photo, music, videos and Apps. Installed applications on Nexus 7 are transferred to Memo Pad 7. However, it didn’t transfer App data and saved games.
3. My wife’s Nexus 7 isn’t rooted and only software I could find to support transfer App data and saved games in non-root is Helium. With Helium, I could back up App data and saved games but I can’t restore to Memo Pad 7. It always hang when I was doing restore on Memo Pad 7. According to Helium Wiki, Memo Pad 7 is a unsupported and problematic device so I am out of luck.
4. Since non-root isn’t working for transfer App data and saved games, I went ahead to root Nexus 7. I installed Wug’s Nexus Root Toolkit v2.0.5.
(1) Initial Setup – Full Driver Installation Guide – Automatic + Manual
(2) Backup – Backup All App’s
(3) Unlock Bootloader
(4) Root – I unchecked “Custom Recovery”.
(5) Restore the backup I did on step (2) but for some reason, I don’t see all installed applications were restored.
5. Nexus 7 is rooted. I used My Bakup PRO to backup data. You could use any other backup and restore program that requires root. i.e. Titanium Backup PRO. I like the migrate feature that My Backup Pro has. It allows you to move any and all support content directly from one Device to another over WiFi. I am able to transfer backup from Nexus 7 to Memo Pad 7. However, it actually didn’t restore because Memo Pad 7 isn’t root.
Since I already rooted Nexus 7, I install custom ROM Chroma to make Nexus 7 still usable.
1. Launch Wug’s Nexus Root Toolkit v2.0.5
2. Launch Advanced Utilities > Fastboot Flash > Recovery
4. Flash recovery to twrp-18.104.22.168-grouper.img TWRP grouper (Nexus 7 2012 WiFi) recovery
5. Download Chroma ROM, Banks Gapps, SuperSU, Franco Kernal r82 that supports F2FS and put them on the Nexus 7’s internal storage.
6. Boot to TWRP recovery, Wipe > Advanced Wipe > Repair or Change File System for /cache to F2FS.
7. In TWRP recovery, Wipe > factory reset to make it clean.
8. Flash ROM, GApps, SuperSU and Kernal
9. Reboot and enjoy.
10. Install Trimmer (fstrim) from google play store and schedule trim twice per day. TRIM is include for Android 4.3+. I installed the app and want it to run more frequently to improve performance.
Nexus 7 first generation running slow after installing Lollipop
My wife has first generation of Nexus 7 and is upgraded to Lollipop a month ago. It is running very slow and especially when she travelled to overseas. I searched the web and performed the following:
1. clear cache partition
(1) Turn off your device.
(2) Press and hold Power and volume down buttons simultaneously until you see a large arrow at the top of your screen.
(3) Press the Volume Down button twice to highlight Recovery mode.
(4) Press the Power button to start Recovery mode. You’ll see an image of an Android robot with a red exclamation mark and the words “No command.”
(5) While holding down the Power button, press the Volume Up button.
(6) Press the volume down button to scroll to “wipe cache partition” then press the Power button to select it.
(7) When the cache is cleared, press the Power button on “reboot system now.”
2. Turn off animation and set background process limit
(1) Settings > About tablet > tap on the “Build number” entry seven times, which will unlock “Developer Options”.
(2) Settings > Developer options > Set WINDOW ANIMATION SCALE, TRANSITION ANIMATION SCALE and ANIMATOR DURATION SCALE all to ANIMATION OFF
(3) Settings > Developer Options > Background process limit > at most 3 processes
After I rebooted Nexus 7, I still felt slow but after a while the responsiveness is acceptable so I assumed it took a while to rebuilt its cache. Therefore, I didn’t go back to Android 4.4 Kit Kat by Settings>Backup and Reset>Factory Data Reset.
How to copy photos from WeChat to PC
You could use “File Transfer” in WeChat to transfer images to PC. However, Nexus 7 don’t have back camera and can not scan QR code so I can’t find a way to enable and use Web WeChat in a computer to take advantage of “File Transfer” in WeChat.
Here are steps to copy photos received in WeChat from Nexus 7 to my computer.
1. Connect Nexus 7 to my computer using a USB cable
2. I could see all photos received in WeChat in the following directory: Computer\Nexus 7\Internal storage\tencent\MicroMsg\14c8af29a70804aa5463b58e499b9a95\image2
3. I drag and drop image2 directory to Pictures: C:\Users\Howard\Pictures\image2
4. It is really annoying to have images in all sub folders under images2 directory. Here is the command to run in Command Prompt to copy all photos into one directory.
for /r “C:\users\howard\pictures\image2” %i in (*.jpg) do copy “%~fi” “C:\users\howard\pictures\LA\%~nxi”
How to Increase the Maximum File Upload Size in WordPress
After I upgraded to WordPress 3.9.2, I noticed I have trouble to upload images or videos bigger than 2MB. Looks like “Increase Upload Max Filesize” and “PBP Increase upload limit” plugins don’t work anymore. Here is how to fix the issue.
1. Go to wp-admin directory on your WordPress
2. If you have php.ini or php5.ini file in wp-admin directory, please add two lines like the following. In this case, I want to increase maximum file upload size to 250MB.
upload_max_filesize = 250M
post_max_size = 250M
3. If you don’t see those two files in wp-admin directory, please create them and add those two lines. If you knew your host uses php5, you could just only create php5.ini.