Nexus 7 first generation running slow after installing Lollipop
My wife has first generation of Nexus 7 and is upgraded to Lollipop a month ago. It is running very slow and especially when she travelled to overseas. I searched the web and performed the following:
1. clear cache partition
(1) Turn off your device.
(2) Press and hold Power and volume down buttons simultaneously until you see a large arrow at the top of your screen.
(3) Press the Volume Down button twice to highlight Recovery mode.
(4) Press the Power button to start Recovery mode. You’ll see an image of an Android robot with a red exclamation mark and the words “No command.”
(5) While holding down the Power button, press the Volume Up button.
(6) Press the volume down button to scroll to “wipe cache partition” then press the Power button to select it.
(7) When the cache is cleared, press the Power button on “reboot system now.”
2. Turn off animation and set background process limit
(1) Settings > About tablet > tap on the “Build number” entry seven times, which will unlock “Developer Options”.
(2) Settings > Developer options > Set WINDOW ANIMATION SCALE, TRANSITION ANIMATION SCALE and ANIMATOR DURATION SCALE all to ANIMATION OFF
(3) Settings > Developer Options > Background process limit > at most 3 processes
After I rebooted Nexus 7, I still felt slow but after a while the responsiveness is acceptable so I assumed it took a while to rebuilt its cache. Therefore, I didn’t go back to Android 4.4 Kit Kat by Settings>Backup and Reset>Factory Data Reset.