Orange light when I charge my Motorola Rokr E8
I still use my work mobile phone: Motorola Rokr E8 from 6 years ago. Today when I went home and I saw it is off. When I connect it to a wall charger, I saw orange light but I can’t turn it on. The good thing is we have internet. I found the following solution to turn it on.
1. Try entering Bootloader mode by pressing # and *, and then pull the power trigger to turn it on. It tell you that battery is low.
Note: # key is on bottom last right and * key is on bottom last left.
2. Re-connect the charger, pull the power trigger again, it starts normally.
3. The phone is starting charge.
How to update Asus ZenFone 2 (ZE551ML) to Marshmallow
Asus released manual update to Marshmallow for Asus ZenFone 2 (ZE551ML) last year. They released the second update last month. I don’t think OTA will be available soon. I decided to give it a try and hopefully the second update makes it more stable.
1: Check your phone have latest lollipop update. If not, please update it.
Setting > About > System Update > Check Update
2: Go to URL: https://www.asus.com/us/Phone/ZenFone_2_ZE551ML/HelpDesk_Download/
3: Please select OS > Android
4: Click Firmware. I have Worldwide version and there are two updates available.
WW-188.8.131.52(andriod M) – 1.18GB
WW-184.108.40.206(andriod M) – 1.19GB
I don’t know if update is incremental or not. Therefore, I downloaded the first update: WW-220.127.116.11(andriod M) – 1.19GB.
5: Back up your phone data and settings with your favorite backup program. In my case, I used Wondershare Mobile Trans.
6: Use a USB cable to connect your phone to your computer.
7: Copy downloaded update (UL-Z00A-WW-18.104.22.168-user.zip) to the root of your phone.
8: A “System Update File Detected” notification should appear. Tap the notification and select the correct update package.
9: Make sure your battery is above 70% or is charging.
10: Once the update is done, the device should restart by itself. Optimization of apps will take time depending on how many apps are installed on your phone.
11: Check for update and it should tell WW-22.214.171.124 is available to download
Setting > About > System Update > Check Update
12: Download and install WW-126.96.36.199 update.
13: Enjoy Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow.
Note: It pops out a message to ask me remove then add gmail account back to enable protection when I click settings. I followed instructions and enabled protection again.
Here are issues I encountered so far.
1. Google Chrome can’t load any URLs. I have to uninstall and reinstall Chrome to make it work.
2. When I listen “Our Daily Bread” with Dolphin browser in background, there is lag but I don’t have this issue with Chrome browser.
How to connect Nexus 7 to a keyboard and a mouse
Why do you want to connect Nexus 7 to a keyboard and a mouse? Make a tablet as a “computer” but 7-inch tablet could be a bit small for its screen size.
My daughter recently broke the screen of our Nexus 7 2012 so the touch screen doesn’t work anymore. I was debating to get a LCD Touch Screen Digitizer Assembly Replacement for ASUS Google Nexus 7 Tool OEM for $50 or just retire it?
It happens I have $50 microsoft store promo code lying around. I went ahead to use it and one of items I ordered is StarTech Micro USB Male USB Female OTG Host Cable Adapter. It costs $8. I connected its micro USB male to the broken Nexus 7 and a USB receiver for HP Z4000 wireless mouse to the other end. Instantly the mouse is working on Nexus 7 and I could navigate around. However, the on screen keyboard doesn’t pop up when I want to enter texts. It looks like it is required wireless combo (keyboard + mouse) to work. The budget Logitech Wireless combo (MK270) costs around $30.
I tried with Logitech MX518 optical mouse that has USB interface and I could see on screen keyboard pop up when I want to enter texts. If you have an USB hub lying around, you could connect USB keyboard and mouse to the USB hub. Then connect USB hub to the adapter. That should work, too.
how to select text in Chrome with touchscreen
In Chrome browser, long press a location on your screen in you will get a selection highlight with two little dots at either end of the text you have selected. Drag these with your finger until everything you want is selected. Long press again for the operations you want to perform.
How to increase memory limit for WordPress
Last night I got the following error: Fatal error: Allowed memory size of xxxxx bytes exhausted when customized a theme in WordPress. I uploaded a php file with the following content:
When I ran it, I saw memory_limit is 32M. I decided to increase it to 64M. I tried the following:
1. Add the following line to wp-config.php file:
2. Update PHP.ini to add the following line:
memory_limit = 64M ;
3. Add the following to an .htaccess file:
php_value memory_limit 64M
When I re-run the php file, memory limit still shows 32M. I searched lunarpages hosting that hosts my web sites and found the following link: increase php.ini upload limit
I did the similar thing for memory limit and it worked.
In .htaccess file, add the following lines
deny from all
In php.ini file, add the following:
memory_limit = 64M
How to send an Interac e-Transfer
I needed to transfer some money from my Royal bank account to my TD account. Normally I just went to TD bank and deposited a cheque from my Royal bank account. I realized I didn’t order new cheques after my address has changed. I log in to Royal bank online banking and found out it costs close to $60 (include shipping, handling and HST) for quantity of 100. Each cheque cost me 60 cents and I need to go to bank or ATM machine to deposit it. There must be other way to do this.
I tried out Interac e-Transfer from Online Banking. Here are the instructions:
1. Register to use Interac e-Transfer service in TD online banking.
(1) Login to EasyWeb
(2) Click on “Payments & Transfers” at the top of the page
(3) Click on “Interac e-Transfer” on the left-handed side of the page.
(4) Read the information displayed on the next page
(5) Click the ‘Register Now!’ link at the bottom of the page.
2. Send Interac e-Transfer in Royal Bank online banking
(1) Login to Royal bank online banking
(2) Select “Pay Bills and Transfer Funds”;
(3) Enter the amount, the account you would like to pay from, and in the “To:” drop-down list, select “Interac e-Transfer”;
(4) You will be asked to:
a. Provide the name and email address or mobile number of the recipient;
b. Provide a security question-and-answer that only the recipient will be able to answer (You will want to agree on a question with the recipient in advance);
c. You can choose to save this recipient in your Payee list to send another e-Transfer at a later time
(5) Upon confirmation, an email or text message notification will be automatically sent to the recipient with instructions to retrieve the funds.
The maximum amount you can send through an Interac e-Transfer is based on your client card daily access limit.
There could be a service charge depending on your account.
|Account Type||Free Interac e-Transfers Per Month|
|RBC VIP Banking||Unlimited Free e-Transfers|
|RBC Signature No Limit Banking||15|
|RBC No Limit Banking||10|
|RBC No Limit Banking for Students||10|
|RBC Student Banking||5|
All other e-Transfers from Personal Deposit Accounts cost $1.
3. Receive Interac e-Transfer in TD Bank
(1) After half an hour, an email is received with a deposit URL.
(2) Click on the deposit URL
(3) Click on TD bank icon
(4) Login to EasyWeb
(5) Interac e-Transfer Receive money page is launched.
(6) Answer the security question and select bank account
(7) Money is deposited into the account. In a few minutes, “transfer completed” email is received in Royal bank account email.